Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, March 28, 2011

Kaylacakes

Tomorrow is my daughter's best friend's birthday.  My daughter had a plan to make cupcakes and surprise Kayla at school with them.  She asked me to buy yellow cake mix so that she could make them herself.  Well, the plan fell through, because the girls don't have lunch together and my daughter couldn't figure out a time to get them to her.  They do a study group at my house on Mondays after school, so I decided to make the cupcakes myself and surprise her them.  Yellow cupcakes out of a box didn't really sound all that exciting for me to make, though.  I don't have anything against box cake mixes, really.  They have their place, but not on a cooking blog.  The Pioneer Woman was talking about some cappuccino muffins  by Erica Berge on Facebook.  They are made with Starbucks Via instant coffee, which I absolutely love.  Kayla loves Starbucks, so I thought I would make some cupcakes using the Starbucks Via that I have.  Oh my gosh these are good.  They really have a strong coffee flavor and the texture is perfect.  The frosting is not too sweet because of the cream cheese and the coffee.  They are definitely an adult cupcake, but my kids like them too.  If you have a coffee lover in your life, make these.  They are delicious and easy!



Kaylacakes

(Mocha cupcakes with cappuccino frosting)

Mocha Cupcakes
  • 1 box of yellow cake mix
  • 1/4 c cocoa powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 2 packages of Starbucks Via, French roast
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil
Mix together eggs, water, Starbucks Via, melted butter and oil.  Add cake mix and cocoa and stir until combined.  Pour batter into muffin tins lined with cupcake wrappers.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Cappuccino Frosting

  • 1 package of cream cheese at room temperature
  • 6 tablespoons of butter at room temperature
  • 1 package of Starbucks Via
  • 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 4 c powdered sugar
In a mixer, mix together butter and cream cheese until smooth with no lumps.  Mix together Starbucks Via, cocoa powder and milk.  Add this mixture to the butter cream cheese mixture and stir until blended.  Slowly add powdered sugar, one cup at a time until is is incorporated.  You may need more or less powdered sugar to get the right consistency. 




~*~Melissa~*~

2 comments:

  1. Aaaahhhh these look fabulous Melissa! I make a similar muffin with cold strong coffee. Not as sweet nor as beautiful as these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I like that chocoloate
    i love eating that's why im too fat now :)
    but most of the time what i eat are chocolates
    in fact i buy macaroons online
    because that's my favorite which is chocolate macaroons.
    well anyway that chocolate above are interesting i wanna try that.

    ReplyDelete