Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, February 7, 2010

SMS Classic Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I Love red velvet cake. It's my absolute favorite. And cream cheese icing-there is NOTHING BETTER. Well, I was so excited to make this recipe, I just got started. I was sure I had all of the important ingredients. Then, I pulled out my box of food coloring. To my dismay, all of the red was gone!!!!! This just about ruined the whole thing for me. Who wants brown velvet cake?? I had already started, so I forged on. Everything smelled good, so I figured it couldn't be that bad. When I made the frosting, I did end up adding an extra cup of powdered sugar to the recipe, because mine tasted too buttery. I know, too buttery? It sounds impossible, but it was too buttery. So, I thought this recipe turned out pretty well. The cake wasn't as light and fluffy as I am used to, but it was still very good. The frosting was excellent. Thanks to Rosy of Rosy Lips and Lavender for this week's choice. It was my family's (and mine) favorite thus far! You can find the recipe on her blog here. Check out the rest of the Sweet Melissa Sundays blogroll to see how their red velvet cakes turned out!! xoxo Melissa

19 comments:

  1. I think your cupcakes look pretty terrific even without the red coloring. Love that you piped them all differently :) I skipped the frosting in the book in favor of my favorite cream cheese frosting and you're right, there is nothing better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the different piping styles on your cupcakes! I had to get into my cake decorating gel colors because I didn't have any red in my box of food coloring either! :) I made mini cakes (heart-shaped) and a 6-inch round layer cake. The hearts for my daughter's birthday, the layer cake for hubby and I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your frosting job looks so cute! Love the different looks. They still look adorable even though they're not red!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the different piping! These are so adorable even though they aren't red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your piping!! I used red food coloring and mine are still pretty brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum I could just dive in to that yummy white frosting. It look so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that the frosting was a bit buttery too. I love how you frosted them, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your frosting techniques! These were not my favorite red velvet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so pleased you liked it! I think I agree with you though that there are probably better recipes out there... I also changed the icing a bit as I found her method didn't work so I must do more research into good cream cheese icing! Love your little iced cupcakes and thank you for baking with me this week. R x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am actually averse to "too buttery" tastes in frostings. I want my cream cheese frosting to reek of cream cheesy goodness :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed these! Even if they're not red. Just say they're choc cupcakes :o) I like how you piped the frosting on the cupcakes. As for me, not my favorite, AT ALL. I might make a trifle or cake balls (if I mash them into choc frosting and then dip the balls in melted choc).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so fixated on the beautiful piping I never noticed yours didn't look red! Everyone here talked about how light the frosting was...they didn't see the 3 sticks of butter in there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The decorations look so whimsical! I thought the proportions were off for the frosting too and added lots of extra sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. bien appétissants et bien présentés, bravo
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't think mine turned out that red even with the food coloring, so yours probably wasn't too different! I'm glad to hear you liked them so much; they were a hit with us too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love red velvet, and i've never even really had it(i was only introduced to it last year in our school's dining halls...so probably not the best version). i need to make these, yours look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, I love red velvet cake. Think about how much healthier this is since it doesn't have all of that dye in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey just wanted to tell you I have missed you around SMS. I hope all is well and you can come back and bake with us soon;)

    ReplyDelete