Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Johnny Marzetti ~ Mamaw Style

Johnny Marzetti ~ Mamaw Style
This was a very popular recipe in my house when I was growing up. I really thought it was something that my grandmother made up, until I did a search and found lots of different recipes. Most of the recipes I found use ground beef, and we always used pork loin or chops. Another difference is that a lot of the recipes I found use macaroni noodles and we always used egg noodles. So, I guess she did make up the recipe, in a way. My parents are both from Columbus, Ohio, so I guess it makes sense that, that is where the recipe originated. Here are a couple of interesting tidbits I found about Johnny Marzetti with links from where I found them.

~Johnny Marzetti~
  • 1 package egg noodles
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove garlic
  • salt and pepper
  • 1.5 lbs pork cubed (I used tenderloin)
  • 1 large jar of tomato sauce that you like-no basil (or make your own)
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 10 oz sharp cheddar cheese
  • butter and olive oil for sauteing
  1. saute 1 chopped onion in butter and olive oil
  2. add chopped pork and garlic and brown meat
  3. add salt and pepper
  4. meanwhile, boil egg noodles in salted water as directed
  5. when pork is browned, add tomato sauce and oregano
  6. cube 8 ounces of cheddar cheese, shred 2 ounces
  7. mix cooked egg noodles with pork/tomato sauce mixture
  8. add cubes of cheddar
  9. pour everything into a buttered 9x13 casserole dish
  10. top with shredded cheddar
  11. bake at 350 degrees until top is golden and bubbly
xoxo Melissa

p.s. I realize this is not the most figure friendly meal and I know I said I was going to be posting lighter recipes, but I had to make this. My brother, sister and I (with kids) are planning a visit to see my grampa soon and he LOVES Marzetti! I planned on making a double batch and freezing half to take to him, but I decided to make him some fresh before we go. My husband will be out of town, so he won't be able to join us. We are also going to go to one of those indoor water parks. The kids are very excited. It should be a fun mini vacation!

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy do I love casseroles! This looks great, one for my must try list, thanks for sharing it. Have fun with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete