Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, September 20, 2009

SMS Rosemary Cheddar Scones

SMS Rosemary Cheddar Scones

This week's SMS recipe was Robin's choice, of http://ladycraddocksbakery.blogspot.com/ . She chose Orange Scented Scones. I know scones are something people either like or don't really care for. I happen to really like them, but I prefer savory scones. There is a bakery/deli here that makes, these lovely savory scones. It's called Zingerman's. http://www.zingermansdeli.com/content/pages/home.php You may have heard of it. It was featured on Food Network before. I don't remember what the show was called, though.

It's been years since I've had one of these scones from Zingerman's, but I remember them to be flavored with rosemary and cheddar cheese. Right now, they're advertising bacon cheddar scones. I'm sure I'd be a big fan of those! I was excited to try and make these savory scones that I used to love so much. Especially after all of the sweets I've been making lately. I am very pleased to say that the recipe turned out very well. I LOVED them. I will make them again and I think you should try it too! I used rosemary in place of orange zest, left out the sugar and added 1/2 c of cheddar cheese. I cracked some fresh pepper on the tops before baking, also. Oh, the best part about the whole thing was that my kids actually did most of the work. They got out all of the ingredients, measured everything and added everything. My daughter used a pastry blender and mixed the dough by hand. I helped get the dough together and into a disk. She cut the wedges and brushed the tops with cream. My son measured the cheese and chopped the rosemary.

I have no idea why I've never tried to make any kind of scones before. I guess I never thought to make them or never really had an occasion. I can't wait to eat another one. There was something missing from my scones that made them a little different from Zingerman's. I'm pretty sure it's garlic powder. Next time, I will add some and I bet that will do the trick. If you'd like to try and make your own scones, you can find the basic recipe I used here: http://ladycraddocksbakery.blogspot.com/

Thanks to Robin for hosting this week's SMS. Great choice, Robin!

xoxo Melissa

13 comments:

  1. Oh the savory scones seem so good. I bet you're glad that we're making savory muffins next week. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scones look delicious. Can't wait to give them a try since I have lots of rosemary in my little herb garden right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those savory scones look and sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful substitutions, they sound - and look - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheddar scones, sound delicious. Great post..

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun adaptation, it's great to recreate a favorite! And how nice that your children helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited for a savory recipe next week. I feel like it takes so much pressure off! I'll definitely be trying your savory scone variation. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I love all scones, both savory and sweet. These sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice idea...maybe I can substitute something lemony? Rosemary is not my thing when in scones etc. But the trick sounds super neat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cheese scones! My mum would make them all the time when I was a little girl!

    Yours look beautiful!

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am forever trying different scone recipes, but for some reason, I've never made savory scones. These look great, and I need to bake some!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for baking along with me this week and I think your savory scones sound delish!!! This is such an adaptable recipe, glad you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete