Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers - Birthday Sheet Cake

Barefoot Bloggers

Birthday Sheet Cake

Ina Garten

This is my first Barefoot Bloggers post! I joined a group where twice a month, an Ina Garten recipe is chosen and we all make it, then blog about it. This time, it was Susy, from Everyday Gourmet's turn to choose. She chose "Birthday Sheet Cake" for us to make. There were a lot of mixed reviews on the Food Network site about this recipe. The baking soda to flour ratio is incorrect and a lot of people didn't like the flavor of the cake. I adjusted the baking soda to 3/4 tsp. instead of the recipe's 1 tsp., because that was recommended. My cake was a little dry and dense anyway. I also added more salt because the batter tasted overly sweet, to me. If you would like this recipe, hop over to Susy's blog: http://www.marksusy.blogspot.com/. You can see how hers turned out!

xoxo

Melissa

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the group!! I love trying out all the different dishes...

    I had the same experience with the cake. I wish I had read more of the reviews on the food network website though before trying mine out.

    Looking forward to checking out your blog more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake turned out lovely! Here is the recipe for Caramel Frosting
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter unsalted
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 ts baking soda
    1 ts lemon juice
    pinch of salt
    Boil all ingredients in tall heavy pan over medium heat. Stir until butter melts and mixture starts to boil. Cook stirring occasionally, until icing caramelizes about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into mixer. Beat for 5 minutes until light in color. Pour over cake! It should be liquid enough to drip down sides of cake. Warning- This is very addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to the group, I spent some time reading the reviews but did not make the frosting b/c making it a themed cake

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome! Love the sprinkles on your cake.

    ReplyDelete